Total Pageviews

Monday, January 28, 2013

Dark Shadows: Year One

So ... I was just kidding about the whole Dark Shadows:  Year One comic book (in my brain, I had reimagined DS as a super hero comic, based on Batman:  Year One, my favorite Batman story).  Turns out I'm wicked psychic or something; as I paid my daily visit to The Collinsport Historical Society's page (my very favorite of the DS blogs), I discovered this article.  Check it out:

http://www.collinsporthistoricalsociety.com/2013/01/dark-shadows-year-one.html

And from http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/920?stockItemID=STK527718:


I'm super-stoked.  The art for the cover is fairly awesome; my god, that's recognizably Angelique, Josette, and Barnabas!  My problem all along with this new series -- taking a page from Dark Horse's popular Buffy the Vampire Slayer:  Season 8 and Season 9, which picked up where the TV series left off in 2003 -- is that the majority of people who buy it are probably not DS fans, and (understandably) won't understand the incredible backstory that makes the series so engaging, even now.  Now, however, I figure that the series must be popular enough to warrant a "Year One" story, recounting the origin of Our Favorite Vampire (and, it seems, Our Favorite Witch):

"The origin of Dark Shadows, finally revealed!  How did Barnabas Collins become a bloodthirsty vampire?  What tragedies befell the Collins family through the generations?  All it took was one night of weakness, and Barnabas cursed his family -- and himself -- forever!  The twisted tale of one of pop culture's most iconic and enduring vampires begins here!"

(Finally revealed?  Wasn't it revealed in 1968?!?)

(In stores 4/10/13.)

I'll give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment